Almond Milk Syrup
Almonds have been used in syrups for quite some time. They add a wonderful unique flavour and they pair very well with spice. This is why orgeat (almond syrup with orange blossom water and cognac) is often used within tiki style cocktails that use rums and baking spices such as cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg within some of their recipes. Here we have a simplified version of the traditional orgeat syrup. This will not have as much dimension and complexity as your traditional orgeat, but it will provide a more interesting character than your traditional simple syrup. This recipe adds a beautiful richness to your cocktails with a subtle almond flavour and of course, a good amount of sweetness. This syrup is the perfect fit for cocktails containing rum, whiskey, and tequila. This doesn't mean that it can't be mixed with other spirits such as vodka or gin, in fact, this syrup is very versatile. It can even be used in coffee as a flavoured sweetener in lieu of granulated sugar.
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (you can experiment with different flavours such as vanilla and hazelnut)
- ½ Cup Sugar
- Add the almond milk in a saucepan.
- Add sugar to the almond milk in the saucepan and stir.
- Turn the burner to medium/high heat.
- Stir occasionally to help dissolve the sugar.
- Once the almond milk and sugar mix begins to produce steam, turn off the heat.
- Take the pan off the element and stir once more.
- Let rest until cool.
- Bottle and refrigerate.
- Keeps for one week.