Cucumber Simple Syrup
Alongside citrus fruit, cucumber is an excellent bright and breezy summer flavour. It has cool flavours that add a nice light vegetal note to a number of cocktails. Its approachable and delicate flavours and aromas can often be overlooked when creating cocktails. Cucumber can be muddled into a cocktail to introduce some cucumber flavour or made into a delicious syrup, introducing some amazing essences as well as some much needed sweetness into any of your favourite cocktail recipes.
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Half Of An English Cucumber
- Pinch of salt
- Cut a cucumber in half and peel one half. Put the other unpeeled half in the refrigerator, this can be used as cocktail garnishes.
- Cut the peeled half into ½ inch segments. Set aside.
- Add sugar, pinch of salt, and water to a small saucepan and stir on medium heat until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Add cucumber slices, reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to continue to soak.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a glass jar or bottle to remove cucumber.
- Note: You can press the cucumbers while straining for extra cucumber flavour but this may result in your syrup becoming cloudy.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Keeps for about a week.